7.24.2006

Borrowing from Bob

Things have been a bit slow here, and over at ANitB. It isn't so much that I don't have a lot to say or a lot on my mind, it is more that I either have too much swirling around to nail down something interesting or helpful to me to write, or I'm avoiding things when I can. I think over the last couple of weeks I've been using music as an outlet. I'm trying to learn to play it, and I'm listening to some new and interesting things. Today I have a particular verse of a Bob Dylan song stuck in my head. I've known the song for ages, but have been reintroduced to Buckets of Rain by Jeffrey Foucault and his collaboration with Redbird.
Life is sad
Life is a bust
All ya can do is do what you must.
You do what you must do and ya do it well,
I'll do it for you, honey baby,
Can't you tell?
Listen to Redbird's version here (5.05 MB via RapidShare).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"All ya can do is do what you must"

I get why this is sad. We love freedom. Only doing what we must do, what we have no choice but to do, lacks the freedom we love. But, I can't help be reminded of why my dad became a preacher. Because he "couldn't do anything else." He had to be a preacher, he had no choice.

Just last night I reread Zen in the Art of Archery. It was a copy of the book given to me by a friend from college. Its only inscription is "the marks inside are not mine." It comes complete with a mysterious Metro ticket with several punches. According the author, one is to loose the arrow at the moment of highest tension, at the point at which the arrow must be loosed. Not, I suppose, at the point the archer desires to loose it.

The metro ticket was what my friend used to leave Chicago and make his way to New Mexico. Someplace he had to go.

"All ya can do is do what you must."

Love,
JimII

Unknown said...

I think I may know this metro ticket guy. Nice story and analogy. I like the dual and related meanings to that line. There is this concept of being drawn so strongly to do something that there is nothing else you can do. You discuss that here and I think while, yes, it may be sad to give up the freedom of choice there is also something beautiful about being drawn or called so strongly to something that you have no choice but to do it.

Instead of being drawn to something, there is also a component of "doing what you must" when things are thrown at you. You may not like what happened to get you where you are and you may not like what you have to do because of it, but you buckle down and go out and do what you've got to do.